Electronic Visit Verification (EVV)
Section 12006(a) of the 21st Century Cures Act mandates that states implement EVV for all Medicaid personal care services (PCS) and home health services (HHCS) that require an in-home visit by a provider. This applies to PCS provided under sections 1905(a)(24), 1915(c), 1915(i), 1915(j), 1915(k), and Section 1115; and HHCS provided under 1905(a)(7) of the Social Security Act or a waiver.
States must require EVV use for all Medicaid-funded PCS by January 1, 2019 and HHCS by January 1, 2023. Otherwise, the state is subject to incremental FMAP reductions up to 1% unless the state has both made a “good faith effort” to comply and has encountered “unavoidable delays.” Please see below for a list of EVV resources to assist states in complying with CURES Act requirements:
- EVV Good Faith Effort Exemption Requests
- CIB: Cures Act for Electronic Visit Verification - May 16, 2018
- FAQs: Cures Act for Electronic Visit Verification - May 16, 2018
- Section 12006 of the 21st Century CURES Act Electronic Visit Verification Systems Session 2: Promising Practices for States Using EVV – January 2018
- Section 12006 of the 21st Century CURES Act Electronic Visit Verification Systems - Session 1: Requirements, Implementation, Considerations, and State Survey Results – December 2017