Virtual Meeting: Digging into Challenges and Opportunities in Time Study Implementation Plans
Wednesday, January 10th, 2024
3:00PM to 4:00 PM ET
Please join Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) and the U.S. Department of Education (ED) on January 10, 2024, for a Virtual Meeting. In this Virtual Meeting, SMAs and SEAs will have the opportunity to dig into lessons learned, challenges, and opportunities related to time study implementation plans (TSIP), with an emphasis on Random Moment Time Studies.
This session will feature breakout rooms for attendees to engage in peer learning using an interactive web-based brainstorming tool. These small group activities will focus on topics such as (1) sample methodology and creating cost pools, (2) period of observations/time study intervals, and (3) documentation and compliance. All participants will discuss how to work with LEAs and school providers on TSIP implementation (e.g., training). Attendees should come prepared with examples of successes and/or challenges they would like to share with small groups.
Note, this Virtual Meeting is for states that use a cost settlement payment methodology and/or use a time study to support their Medicaid Administrative Claiming. SMA and SEA staff who will benefit most are individuals responsible for time study implementation in their state, support a State Plan Amendment submission or TSIP revision, and those who develop training and technical assistance materials for LEAs related to time studies.
This webinar is intended for State Medicaid Agencies and State Education Agencies. Register for the meeting here. To make the Virtual Meeting as actionable for states as possible, participants will be asked to rank the three topic options in order of interest. Please direct any questions related to the meeting or guidance to the SBS mailbox at SchoolBasedServices@cms.hhs.gov.
Webinar: Primer for Local Education Agencies (LEAs) and Medicaid School-Based Services
Thursday, January 25th, 2024
3:00PM to 4:00 PM ET
In this webinar, local education agencies (LEAs) will be provided with a high-level overview of the work that State Medicaid agencies (SMAs) and State education agencies (SEAs) may engage in to expand Medicaid School-Based Services (SBS) for Medicaid enrolled children who do not receive services under the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA), such as Medicaid population of children with 504 plans and all others enrolled in Medicaid with medical needs. LEAs will also be provided with information on the current policies and relevant requirements of Medicaid and IDEA. Recommendations for ways that LEAs can benefit from State support will be offered. Specific recommendations to advance the work to increase student access to Medicaid SBS will be explored for LEAs both in States that have and have not yet expanded Medicaid SBS. In addition, direct care service provision considerations will be discussed. By the end of this webinar, LEAs should understand:
- The basics of Medicaid including the Federal/State Medicaid partnership including Medicaid State Plans and ways that Medicaid supports children.
- The authority under Medicaid that allows school districts to obtain reimbursements for services under an IEP and CMS’s expanded rule as well as the initiative to school-based services under the Bipartisan Safer Communities Act.
- The current requirements under IDEA and Medicaid for services to students with disabilities
- Ways to engage in State work to provide access to Medicaid SBS to all Medicaid enrolled students.
- Resources and solutions to support and promote State Medicaid SBS expansion.
- Promote understanding of LEA engagement through a panel discussion:
- How other States have engaged in Medicaid SBS expansion.
- The typical ways LEAs can receive reimbursement for school-based services (both direct and administrative)
This webinar is intended for Local Education Agencies. Register for the webinar here. Please direct any questions related to the webinar or guidance to the SBS mailbox at SchoolBasedServices@cms.hhs.gov.