The Center for Medicaid and CHIP Services (CMCS) and the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) regional offices adjudicate more than 2,000 actions annually, including state plan amendments (SPAs), waiver applications, advanced planning documents, and more. CMCS also engages in extensive work in the oversight of current programs and the development of new policy (regulations, state Medicaid director letters, ongoing technical assistance to states, etc.) to keep pace with state and industry innovations.
Medicaid and Children's Health Insurance Program (CHIP) represent a federal and state partnership. As part of Medicaid and CHIP Business Information Solution, CMS has built a new state-facing system to capture states’ submissions of SPAs, waivers, quality measures, advanced planning documents, etc. This system, the Medicaid and CHIP Program (MACPro) system, has been live as of December 2015 and continues to expand to include new authorities and state actions for CMS review.
CMS is developing the MACPro system, to make the process of modifying state plans, demonstrations, and waivers more streamlined, efficient, and transparent for state partners and researchers.
Explore the currently available systems and documents to apply for a change to state Medicaid plans, waivers, and demonstrations.
- MACPro System
- Medicaid Model Data Lab (MMDL)
- Waiver Management System (WMS)
- Survey and Certification/Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendment (SC/CLIA) System
- Medicaid and CHIP (MAC) Learning Collaborative
- Environmental Scanning and Program Characteristics (ESPC) Database
CMS Medicaid and CHIP Program Systems
MACPro system allows CMS and states to collaborate online to process SPAs, waivers, quality measures reports, demonstrations, advance planning documents, and other initiatives. Contents in MACPro will expand over time as new modules are deployed. For MACPro assistance, please email the MACPro Help Desk at MACPro_HelpDesk@cms.hhs.gov or call (301) 547-4688.
- MACPro New User Checklist
- MACPro Roles and Administration
- Quality Measures Reporting
- Health Homes SPA
- Medicaid Eligibility and Administration SPA
- Enterprise Identity Management (EIDM)
- MACPro Shareable PDF
View a checklist (PDF, 173.78 KB) of steps you will need to take to gain MACPro access. Part 1 of the steps explains how to create an EIDM profile and request MACPro access. Part 2 explains how to request a MACPro role.
An introductory reference document (PDF, 3 MB) provides step-by-step instructions on how to manage your user profile, request and modify roles, and approve and deny roles. Brief introductory videos also are available.
Video and slide decks for quality measures training and help are available for adult, child, health homes and maternal and infant health authorities. View the quality measures introductory reference documents for state and CMS users:
- MACPro Quality Measures Introductory Reference Document for State Users (PDF, 4.14 MB)
- Quality Measures Quick Start Guide for CMS Users (PDF, 2.56 MB)
Video and slide decks for health homes SPA training and help are available for state and CMS users. View additional information and tools to assist states in developing and submitting a health homes SPA in MACPro:
- MACPro Health Homes State Plan Amendment Reference Document for State Users (PDF, 7.21 MB)
- Introductory Guide for MACPro Health Homes State Plan Amendments Migrated Data (PDF, 927.65 KB)
Video and slide decks for eligibility and administration SPA training and help are available. View additional information and tools to assist states in developing and submitting an eligibility, enrollment, or single state agency SPA in MACPro:
- MACPro Medicaid State Plan Reference Document for State Users (PDF, 6.8 MB)
- Introductory Guide to Creating a Medicaid Eligibility SPA in MACPro (PDF, 2.71 MB)
- Eligibility and Administration SPA Implementation Guides (ZIP, 3.6 MB)
- MACPro Dependencies - Which Eligibility and Enrollment Templates Do I Need to Complete First? (PDF, 172.03 KB)
- Crosswalk from MACPro to Paper-Based State Plan and MMDL (Complete Listing of Medicaid Eligibility and Enrollment SPA Templates in MACPro) (PDF, 368.3 KB)
- Medicaid Eligibility Crosswalk from the Paper-Based State Plan to MACPro (PDF, 424.56 KB)
View instructions for gaining access to MACPro (PDF, 2.33 MB) through the CMS Enterprise Portal.
View instructions for utilizing the Shareable PDF functionality (PDF, 475.74 KB) within MACPro.
For more information on fillable PDFs, see fillable PDF repository.
Apply for Changes to the State plan:
- Medicaid Modified Adjusted Gross Income Eligibility (access fillable PDFs)
- CHIP Eligibility (access fillable PDFs)
- Alternative Benefit Plans (access fillable PDFs)
- Health Homes
Reports on Medicaid program administration/implementation:
- Balancing Incentive Programs
- Recovery Audit Contractors
- Medicaid Payment Suspension Reporting
- Instructions for New MMDL users
- Instructions for Existing MMDL or Waiver Management System (WMS) users
§1915(c) and §1915(b) Waiver Applications, and 372 Reports
SC/CLIA is a web-based application administered by the CMS under the Department of Health and Human Services. The primary activity of the SC/CLIA application is to capture expenses incurred by the states for survey activities that determine whether providers meet applicable requirements for participation in the Medicare, Medicaid, and CLIA programs. Access to this system is available only to authorized state, CMS Regional Office and CMS Central Office users and requires a valid CMS user ID.
Federal and state partners establishing a robust working relationship to achieve high-performing state health coverage programs.
The ESPC database is in a Microsoft Access database that contains Medicaid and CHIP data for the 50 states and District of Columbia.
ESPC User Guide (PDF, 1.29 MB)