The Medicaid Innovation Accelerator Program (IAP) provided technical assistance to states interested in designing, developing, or implementing Value-Based Payment (VBP) approaches (i.e. payment models that range from rewarding for performance in fee-for-service (FFS) to capitation, including alternative payment models and comprehensive population-based payments). Further, if a state sought to pursue a particular VBP approach, IAP provided the state with support to conduct financial simulations and forecasts that analyze the financial impact of these payment and delivery strategies.
IAP provided VBP and financial simulation technical assistance to Medicaid agencies in the District of Columbia, Idaho, Illinois, Kentucky, Massachusetts, Minnesota, New Hampshire, New Jersey, Oregon, and Virginia from July 2017 through July 2018. Additional information about the technical assistance provided can be found in the Medicaid IAP 2017 VBP and Financial Simulation Factsheet.
IAP provided VBP and financial simulation technical assistance to Medicaid agencies in and the District of Columbia, Massachusetts, Oklahoma, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia, and Wisconsin from July 2018 through July 2019. Additional information about the technical assistance provided can be found in the Medicaid IAP 2018 VBP and Financial Simulation Factsheet.IAP provided VBP and financial simulation technical assistance to Medicaid agencies in Iowa, Minnesota, New York, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, Texas, and Washington from February 2020 through August 2020. Additional information about the technical assistance provided can be found in the Medicaid IAP 2020 VBP and Financial Simulation Factsheet.
- Medicaid Value-Based Payment Approaches and Key Design Considerations National Learning Webinar October 5, 2017 (audio, transcript)
- Aligning State Medicaid Value-Based Payment Approaches with MACRA Policies and Measures Webinar September 26, 2018 (audio, transcript)
- Estimating Changes in Medicaid Expenditures for Various VBP Approaches- Oregon’s Experience August 20, 2019 (audio, transcript)
- CMCS Value-Based Care Opportunities in Medicaid All-State Webinar (October 7, 2020)
- CMS releases guidance to states on advancing value-based care in Medicaid September 15, 2020
- Template for Simulating Changes in Medicaid Payments under Value-Based Payment Approaches
- Key Considerations for Incentivizing Value-Based Payment in Medicaid Managed Care through Withhold Arrangements
- Considerations for Implementing Downside Risk in Medicaid Accountable Care Organizations