From July 2017 through July 2019, the Medicaid Innovation Accelerator Program (IAP) provided technical assistance to Medicaid agencies and their partners in the District of Columbia, Michigan, and New Hampshire to select, design, and test value-based payment (VBP) approaches (i.e. payment models that range from rewarding for performance in fee-for-service to capitation, including alternative payment models and comprehensive population-based payments) that sustain children’s oral health care delivery models showing promising results. This opportunity complemented CMS’s existing children’s Oral Health Initiative (OHI), which aims to support children’s oral health by increasing the proportion of children receiving preventive dental services. Additional information about the technical assistance provided can be found in the Medicaid IAP OHI VBP Factsheet.
- Medicaid Value-Based Payment Approaches for Children's Oral Health National Learning Webinar October 19, 2017 (audio, transcript)
- Children’s Oral Health Care Delivery Models and Value-Based Payment Approaches: Key Findings from an Environmental Scan
- Value-Based Payment and Contracting Approaches for Caries Management: Implications for State Medicaid Programs Webinar August 22, 2018 (audio, transcript)
- Insights and Key Considerations for Implementing Value-Based Payment in Oral Health: Perspectives from Participating States August 27, 2019 (audio, transcript)
- Resource Guide: Determining Children’s Oral Health Costs at an Alternative Care Delivery Site—New Hampshire Women, Infants, and Children Preventive Dental Care Program and Workbook