How States Voluntarily Report Child Core Set Measures
States can voluntarily report the 2021 Child Core Set measures (PDF, 213.52 KB) by using the 2021 Technical Specifications and Resource Manual (PDF, 1.43 MB). A summary of updates (PDF, 48.38 KB) to the child core set technical specifications and resource manual for federal fiscal year (FFY) 2021 is also available.
Additional Reporting Resources
- 2021 Child Core Set HEDIS Value Set Directory (ZIP, 1.03 MB)
- 2021 Child Core Set Non-HEDIS Value Set Directory (ZIP, 210.13 KB)
- 2021 Child Core Set Measurement Periods (PDF, 171.77 KB)
- 2021 Core Set Data Quality Checklist (PDF, 793.61 KB)
- Technical Assistance Resource: Calculating State-Level Rates Using Data from Multiple Reporting Units (PDF, 426.28 KB) (Updated March 2020)
Archived Reporting Resources
For the 2020 technical specifications and value set directories, please email MACQualityTA@cms.hhs.gov.
Technical Assistance and Analytic Support Program
CMS is committed to supporting states’ efforts to measure and improve the quality of health care for children and adults enrolled in Medicaid and CHIP. To increase the number of states consistently collecting, reporting, and using the Child Core Set measures, CMS established the Technical Assistance and Analytic Support (TA/AS) Program to support states’ child health care quality measurement and improvement efforts.
The overarching goals are to increase the number of states consistently collecting and uniformly reporting the voluntary core measures set, and to help states understand how to use these data to improve the quality of care for children. As part of the technical assistance effort, CMS will share promising practices for collecting the core measures with states. For more information, see the TA/AS Program fact sheet (PDF, 290.5 KB).
Send your questions or requests for technical assistance related to the Child Core Set or quality improvement initiatives to MACqualityTA@cms.hhs.gov.
Technical Assistance Webinars
- Technical Assistance Webinar to Support State Reporting of the Child, Adult, and Health Home Core Sets: FFY 2021 Updates and Reporting Resources – May 11, 2021
- Technical Assistance to Support Adult, Child, and Health Home Core Set Reporting for FFY 2020 – October 14, 2020
- Core Set Presentation slides (PDF, 758.78 KB)
- MACPro Presentation slides
- Part 1: Session Overview (12:40)
- Part 2: FFY 2019 Reporting Products (9:13)
- Part 3: FFY 2020 Reporting Update (15:29)
- Part 4: FFY 2020 Data Quality Priorities and Technical Assistance Resources (12:17)
- Part 5: Highlights of MACPro System Updates (10:57)
- Technical Assistance Webinar to Support State Reporting of the Child, Adult, and Health Home Core Sets: FFY 2020 Updates and Reporting Resources – April 2020
- Technical Assistance to Support State Reporting of the Child and Adult Core Sets for FFY 2019 – May 21, 2019
- Developmental Screening in the First Three Years of Life: Understanding How to Collect and Use the Child Core Set Measure - June 2013
- Presentation slides (PDF, 197.37 KB)
- Using CAHPS to Better Understand the Quality of Care for Children in Medicaid and CHIP - November 13, 2012
- Presentation slides (PDF, 128.39 KB)
- CAHPS Webinar FAQs (PDF, 139.35 KB) (Updated June 2018)
- Related Fact Sheet: Collecting and Reporting the CAHPS® Survey as Required Under the CHIPRA (PDF, 407.48 KB)
- Related Technical Assistance Brief: Guidance for Conducting the CAHPS® 5.0H Child Survey (PDF, 665.22 KB)
Additional Technical Assistance Resources
- Technical Assistance Resource: Allowance of Telehealth in the 2021 Child, Adult, and Health Home Core Set Measure Specifications (PDF, 440.2 KB) (May 2021)
- Technical Assistance Resource: Calculating the Sealant Receipt on Permanent First Molars Measure in the Child Core Set (PDF, 837.87 KB) (April 2021)
- The State of Children's Health Care Quality in Medicaid and CHIP: State Strategies to Promote Reporting and Performance (PDF, 588.66 KB) (March 2016)
- The State of Children’s Health Care Quality in Medicaid and CHIP: Who Are the Higher-Performing States? (PDF, 702.69 KB) (May 2015)