How States Voluntarily Report Medicaid Adult Core Set Measures
States can voluntarily collect the 2020 Adult Core Set (PDF, 191.05 KB) measures by using the 2020 Technical Specifications and Resource Manual (PDF, 2.03 MB). A summary of updates (PDF, 241.58 KB) to the adult core set technical specifications and resource manual for federal fiscal year (FFY) 2020 is also available. CMS will publish the resources for reporting the 2021 Adult Core Set (PDF, 189.64 KB) in Spring 2021.
Additional Reporting Resources
- 2020 Adult Core Set HEDIS Measures Value Set Directory (ZIP, 2.52 MB)
- 2020 Adult Core Set Non-HEDIS Measures Value Set Directory (ZIP, 352.57 KB)
- 2020 Adult COB/OHD Value Set Directory (ZIP, 1.46 MB)
- 2020 Adult Core Set Measurement Periods (PDF, 164.65 KB)
- 2020 Adult Core Set Data Quality Checklist (PDF, 377.05 KB)
- Technical Assistance Brief: Calculating State-Level Rates Using Data from Multiple Reporting Units (PDF, 426.28 KB) (Updated March 2020)
Archived Reporting Resources
For the 2019 technical specifications and value set directories, please email MACQualityTA@cms.hhs.gov.
Technical Assistance and Analytic Support Program
CMS is committed to supporting states’ efforts to measure and improve the quality of health care for children and adults enrolled in Medicaid and CHIP. To increase the number of states consistently collecting, reporting, and using the Medicaid Adult Core Set measures, CMS established the Technical Assistance and Analytic Support (TA/AS) Program with an award of a contract to Mathematica Policy Research. Mathematica – teamed with the National Committee for Quality Assurance and the Center for Health Care Strategies – works with CMS to support states’ adult health care quality measurement and improvement efforts. The overarching goals are to increase the number of states consistently collecting and uniformly reporting the voluntary core measures set, and to help states understand how to use these data to improve the quality of care for adults. As part of the technical assistance effort, CMS will share promising practices for collecting the core measures with states. For more information, see the Technical Assistance and Analytical Support Program fact sheet (PDF, 290.5 KB).
Questions or requests for technical assistance related to the Medicaid Adult Core Set or quality improvement initiatives can be submitted to MACqualityTA@cms.hhs.gov.
Technical Assistance Webinars
- Technical Assistance to Support Adult, Child, and Health Home Core Set Reporting for FFY 2020 – October 14, 2020
- Core Set Presentation slides (PDF, 758.78 KB)
- MACPro Presentation slides
- Part 1: Session Overview (12:40)
- Part 2: FFY 2019 Reporting Products (9:13)
- Part 3: FFY 2020 Reporting Update (15:29)
- Part 4: FFY 2020 Data Quality Priorities and Technical Assistance Resources (12:17)
- Part 5: Highlights of MACPro System Updates (10:57)
- Technical Assistance Webinar to Support State Reporting of the Child, Adult, and Health Home Core Sets: FFY 2020 Updates and Reporting Resources – April 2020
- Technical Assistance to Support State Reporting of the Child and Adult Core Sets for FFY 2019 – May 21, 2019
Additional Technical Assistance Resources
- Fact Sheet: Guidance on Calculating the Controlling High Blood Pressure (CBP) Measure in the Adult and Health Home Core Sets (PDF, 311.34 KB) (March 2020)
- Technical Assistance Resource: Guidance for Calculating the Plan All-Cause Readmissions (PCR) Measure in the 2020 Adult and Health Home Core Sets (PDF, 530.61 KB) (September 2020)
- Fact Sheet: Overview of Substance Use Disorder Measures in the 2020 Adult and Health Home Core Sets (PDF, 457.93 KB) (Updated March 2020)
- Presentation Slides: Calculating the Substance Use Disorder Measures in the Adult Core Set (PDF, 985.66 KB) (June 5, 2018)
- Technical Specifications Questions and Answers: CMS Technical Assistance Webinar on Calculating the Substance Use Disorder Measures in the Adult Core Set (PDF, 445.63 KB) (June 5, 2018)
- Technical Assistance Brief: Using the Hybrid Method to Calculate Measures from the Child and Adult Core Sets (PDF, 537.78 KB) (October 2014)