Between 2011 and 2014, the National Direct Service Workforce* Resource Center (DSW RC) researched, developed, and validated a set of core competencies for the direct service workforce*. The DSW RC completed the work in three phases, which are described below.
- Phase IIIB of the Road Map of Core Competencies for Direct Service Workforce Project Validation (PDF, 1.61 MB) serves as the final report for the project and includes the fully validated core competency set. The full report includes:
- Final Competency Set (PDF, 416.14 KB)
- Executive Summary (PDF, 177.04 KB)
- Direct Service Workforce Training Resources Toolkit (PDF, 247.35 KB)
- The DSW Core Competencies Companion Guide (PDF, 3.1 MB) is designed to assist stakeholders in applying the core competencies to direct service workforce development efforts.
- Phase I and II of the Road Map of Core Competencies for the Direct Service Workforce (PDF, 1.94 MB) provides an inventory and overview of competency sets used across and within LTSS sectors.
- Phase IIIA of the Road Map of Core Competencies (PDF, 3.09 MB) was conducted in collaboration with stakeholders to synthesize results of the competency analysis and reach consensus on a set of core competencies for direct service workers.
* Note that the term direct care workforce (DCW) is also referred to as direct service workforce (DSW). Different terms are used by different entities and we use the terms synonymously.