CMCS provides technical assistance to support state efforts to improve access to and quality of preventive health care services.
Medicaid Prevention Learning Network
The Medicaid Prevention Learning Network provides an opportunity for state Medicaid programs to engage in state-to-state learning and receive enhanced technical assistance to improve delivery of preventive health care in Medicaid and CHIP. In 2015, CMS began forming affinity groups to focus on prevention topics of common interest to states.
The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) Medicaid Prevention Learning Network will offer a new affinity group to state Medicaid agencies on Medicaid and school-based health services delivery. The affinity group will explore ways to partner with schools to improve health outcomes, using the Child Quality Measures Core Set to evaluate progress. The 12-month group will provide expert moderated webinars on a broad range of topics based on the needs of participating states, one-on-one consultation and group opportunities, and a forum to interact with peers to share learnings and experiences.
- School Based Health (SBH) Affinity Group Fact Sheet (PDF, 88.85 KB)
- Expression of Interest (EOI) for SBH Affinity Group Form (PDF, 206.63 KB)
In 2016, CMS, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), and the Health Resources Services Administration (HRSA) launch the HIV Health Improvement Affinity Group. This group will bring together state public health and Medicaid and Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP) agencies to collaboratively improve health outcomes for Medicaid and CHIP enrollees living with HIV by identifying opportunities to strengthen the HIV Care Continuum among these populations.
- HIV Health Improvement Affinity Group Fact Sheet (PDF, 145.42 KB)
- HIV Health Improvement Affinity Group Expression of Interest Form (PDF, 251.14 KB)
- HIV Health Improvement Affinity Group Evaluation Report (PDF, 942.33 KB)
- HIV Health Improvement Affinity Group Summary (PDF, 187.36 KB)
In 2016, CMS launched the Diabetes Prevention and Management Affinity Group. State Medicaid agencies interested in joining an interactive forum dedicated to improving diabetes prevention and management are encouraged to join.
- Diabetes Affinity Group Fact Sheet (PDF, 159.77 KB)
- Diabetes Affinity Group Expression of Interest Form (PDF, 722.74 KB)
In 2016, CMS launched the Antipsychotic Drug Use in Children (ADC) Affinity Group. State Medicaid agencies interested in conducting focus studies or implementing performance improvement projects related to antipsychotic utilization in children are encouraged to apply.
- Antipsychotic Drug Use in Children Affinity Group Fact Sheet (PDF, 148.21 KB)
- Antipsychotic Drug Use in Children Expression of Interest Form (PDF, 71.46 KB)
Preventive Services Rule Change
In this final rule, CMS revised the regulatory definition of preventive services at 42 CFR 440.130(c) to be consistent with the statutory provision at section 1905(a)(13) of the Social Security Act that governs preventive services. This change allows additional practitioners, who are subject to qualifications established by the state, to provide preventive services to Medicaid eligible beneficiaries.
- Update on Preventive Services Initiatives Informational Bulletin
- Webinar Presentation Slides (PDF, 358.56 KB)
- State Medicaid Manual, Chapter 4, Section 4385
A Tobacco Cessation Affinity Group began in 2015. State Medicaid agencies interested in improving utilization and quality of tobacco cessation benefits are encouraged to contact MedicaidCHIPPrevention@cms.hhs.gov to learn from the work of the affinity group.
- Tobacco Cessation Affinity Group Fact Sheet (PDF, 81.19 KB)
- Affinity Group Expression of Interest Form (PDF, 80.66 KB)