Medicaid Enterprise Reuse
The Standards and Conditions for Medicaid Information Technology (IT) tells us that “States should identify any components and solutions that have high applicability for reuse by other states. As the capability becomes available, states should supply key artifacts to a common, national cloud-based repository accessible by all states and Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS).”
Reuse is the opportunity for CMS and the states to effectively share Medicaid Enterprise Systems’ (MES) IT assets. Those assets are used more than once.
Reuse is comprised of three tiers of information:
- Tier 1: Sharing documents, processes, and knowledge among the states
- Tier 2: Sharing IT code, libraries, COTS software configurations, and packages of technical components
- Tier 3: Sharing implemented MITA Business Architecture process modules; or, states jointly procure hardware or software, or manage joint deployments
In response to this regulation, Center for Medicaid and CHIP Services (CMCS) has established a MES Reuse Repository which is stored in CMS Opportunity to Network and Engage (zONE) Community. States are able to collect, store, and share reusable artifacts through the CMCS zONE Medicaid Enterprise Systems Reuse Repository Community.
The information below is intended to serve as a guide to states to states who seek to demonstrate reuse activities required by CMCS for funding for any Medicaid system development, enhancements and/or ongoing support:
- Information Exchange (Reuse Survey)
- Reuse Repository Access Instructions
- zONE MES Reuse Repository Community
- Enhanced Funding Requirements – Seven Standards and Conditions
If you have questions or comments about Reuse, please contact the Reuse Mailbox at firstname.lastname@example.org. You may also contact the Reuse Mailbox if you have reusable artifacts to share, or are looking for specific artifacts to reuse for your state system.