Medicaid Analytic eXtract (MAX) General Information
The Medicaid Analytic eXtract (MAX) data is a set of person-level data files on Medicaid eligibility, service utilization, and payments. The MAX data are created to support research and policy analysis. The MAX data are extracted from the Medicaid Statistical Information System (MSIS). The MAX development process combines MSIS initial claims, interim claims, voids, and adjustments for a given service into final action events. Unlike fiscal-based MSIS quarterly files, MAX data are organized into annual calendar year files. There are a number of other "value added" enhancements to the MAX data for users described below.
- MAX General Information
- Pharmacy Benefit Use and Reimbursement
- MAX Chartbooks
- MAX Provider Characteristics
- MAX and NCHS Survey Linkages
- Medicaid Issue Briefs
- Technical Assistance to States for Managed Care Encounter Data
- Technical Assistance to States for separate Children’s Health Insurance Program (S-CHIP) Data
- MAX Rx Table Listing
- MAX Validation Reports
MAX data are derived from MSIS, and because it is necessary to allow for the delay between service delivery dates and claims adjudication dates, the availability of MAX data for a particular time period lags behind that of the MSIS data. Since the MAX data contain individually identifiable data, they are protected under the Privacy Act. They are available for approved research activities only through the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS). Note that only approved academic research projects and certain government agencies are entitled to a DUA to obtain MAX data.
Medicaid Analytic eXtract (MAX) Archive Data 1998 and Earlier
The MAX Archive Data 1998 and earlier provides technical information regarding archive State Medicaid Research Files (SMRF) data for the years 1996-1998 and 1998 and earlier.
- General information: This download includes information regarding what SMRF data are available and the record counts by state for 1996-1998 and 1995 and earlier.
- Data dictionaries: These downloads include the SMRF data dictionaries for the Inpatient Hospital (IP), Long-Term Care (LT), Other Services (OT), Prescription Drug (RX), and Person Summary (PS) files for 1996-1998 and 1995 and earlier.
- Data element lists: These documents include the SMRF data element lists for the Inpatient Hospital (IP), Long-Term Care (LT), Other Services (OT), Prescription Drug (RX), and Person Summary (PS) files for 1996-1998 and 1995 and earlier.
- Validation Reports: These documents contain the SMRF data validation reports for the 31 states available for 1996-1998.
- Data Anomalies Report: These documents contain the data anomalies report on the SMRF data for 1996-1998.