Medicaid State Technical Assistance Teams (MSTATs)
On February 3, 2011, Secretary Sebelius sent a letter to all Governors announcing that senior leadership from across the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) are available to talk to states about their priorities and how they can work together to achieve them. As part of that effort, The Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) has staff teams ready to provide intensive, tailored help to states on day-to-day operations and new initiatives. See CMCS MSTAT Informational Bulletin.
MSTAT teams have expertise in Medicaid financing, eligibility, coverage, systems, administrative claiming, and waivers, as well as existing state-specific issues. The teams partner with states to help states take advantage of existing opportunities, make them aware of emerging delivery care models that provide program savings, and structure new program innovations to maximize resources and improve care.
Possible MSTAT approaches include:
- Restructure health care delivery models
- Restructure payment and/or financing mechanisms
- Provide technical assistance on the proper claiming of costs
- Identify existing costs or programs that could qualify for Medicaid reimbursement
- Share practices identified in other states that result in cost savings or full revenue attainment
Interested in Working with an MSTAT?
Please contact MedicaidMeetings@cms.hhs.gov. We’ll assess your request and identify a core team based on your area of interest. Teams consist of both CMS regional and central office staff, with a single lead contact.