MSIS Medicaid Statistical Information System
The Medicaid and Statistical Information System (MSIS) is used by the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) to gather key eligibility, enrollment, program, utilization and expenditure data for the Medicaid and Children's Health Insurance Program (CHIP). These data provide CMS with a large-scale database of all those eligible and receiving services under Medicaid and CHIP programs for every state and territory.
States provide CMS with quarterly computer files containing specified data elements for persons covered by Medicaid (Eligible files) and adjudicated claims (Paid Claims files) for medical services reimbursed with Title XIX funds. These data are furnished on the Federal fiscal year quarterly schedule, which begins October 1 of each year.
- The current uses of MSIS data include:
- Health care research and evaluation activities;
- Program utilization and expenditures forecasting;
- Analyses of policy alternatives;
- Responses to stakeholder inquiries; and
- Matches to other health related databases.
Additional MSIS Information: